Skip to main content

Malawi - National Market Analysis to Inform the 2016/17 MVAC Food Security Response Options, July 2016

Malawi - National Market Analysis to Inform the 2016/17 MVAC Food Security Response Options, July 2016

The assessment involved collection of data from large, medium and small capacity traders, wholesalers and retailers, of maize grain, pulses and cooking oil operating in
different market centres in 27 districts of the country. It also involved data collection from key market actors at national level, namely Grain Traders and Processors, and National Food Reserve Agency. Primary data collection from traders was done in 10 days, from 13th May through to 23rd May 2016 using a structured questionnaire. This was followed by development of a Matrix of Recommendations on transfer modality options for the Humanitarian assistance per TA done in Salima from 25th to 29th May 2016; and thereafter, in-depth data analysis which is the basis for this report. From the 27 districts covered during the study, a total of 234 market centres were identified in 186 TAs. From these 234 market centres, a total of 524 staple food commodity private traders were identified and interviewed during the study, 76% (398)of these being male while the remaining 24% (126) were female.