This operation has been modified as per Budget Revision 1 (see below)
The Special Operation (SO) has been prepared to ensure the continued provision of safe and reliable air transport services to the humanitarian community in Somalia and Kenya for a two-year period from January 2016 to December 2017.
From 01 July 2007 to 31 December 2015, air services were implemented through two successive operations – SO 106810 and SO 200507 – first as a single country service with activities in Somalia only, and from 2013, activities were formally extended into Kenya in
line with the shifting humanitarian needs.
After more than two decades of violence and political instability, Somalia is on a positive trajectory with improvements in socio-economic indicators and an encouraging shift in engagements with international partners. This promising trend is however taking place against a backdrop of a precarious humanitarian and security situation as well as amid chronic vulnerabilities that arise from the continued violence and extremely low level of social and economic development.
The situation in Somalia has led to large-scale displacement forcing many Somalis to flee mainly to neighbouring Kenya in search of refuge. This has resulted in a significant growth in refugee numbers in the country and consequently an increased aid organization travel requirement to the various refugee camps in the northern parts of Kenya.
Due to the fluid security situation air access is a necessity in both Somalia and Kenya and the United Nations Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS) facilitates access to key locations in both countries thereby supporting life-saving relief programmes. In 2015, air services under SO 200507 have assisted 137 humanitarian organizations operating in Somalia and Kenya.
The Special Operation is required for the duration of 24 months, from 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2017, at a total cost of USD 60,850,071. UNHAS plans to continue to cover 60 percent of the funding requirements from cost-recovery from ticket sales, with the remaining 40 percent coming from donor contributions. Full cost recovery will be applied to special flights.
The project activities will constantly be reviewed and required changes processed through budget revisions.
This budget revision seeks to extend Special Operation 200924 in time for 12 months to ensure the continued provision of air transport services to the humanitarian community in Somalia and Kenya until 31 December 2018. Revision is also in order to align the project with the future requirements of the ICSP, reduce the cost component previously budgeted for aviation fuel, un flown additional hours over minimum guaranteed hours contracted during the period and add the operational costs of an additional aircraft for a 6 month period for Emergency Drought response activities.